Monday, June 29, 2015

June 29, 2015 Max Got Baptized! :)

I can´t believe it´s week 6 already!!! So...yeah I can´t believe that next tuesday we are going to have transfers...it went by WAY too fast...I feel like I just got here haha and that I don´t know anything about my area or anything...I am really hoping that my comp stays for one more transfer here with me...but everyone thinks she is leaving, herself included, even though she doesn´t want to leave. This is her first area and she has four months here. But yeah, I guess we will see what happens...

so, something exciting happened this weekend! (no, I did not fall on another speedbump and no, I did not get offered another beer ;) ) MAX GOT BAPTIZED!!! We are so happy :) He is a cute little old man who looks like a cartoon character because he is like a round ball haha :) He is single and he´s 50, even though he doesn´t even look 50.... But he is cute :) He always calls us "hermanitas" and says stuff like "personitas" and "coreanitos" haha (that basically means something like "little Koreans-Korean people") it makes me laugh :) But yeah so he got baptized this Saturday :) 

His story is kind of crazy and kind of long so the whole email this week is going to be about him. But yeah so anyway, when I got here, my comp talked about max a lot and she told me that he is a super great person and all that and that we needed to visit him. so we put an appointment with him and when we went to his house he told us that his parents said that he couldn´t have us over in their house so he told us that we could still put appointments with him, it would just have to be in the house of someone else. So we started visiting him in a member´s house from that point on. Well, he had actually been hanging out for like six years with Jehova´s Witnesses...so he had a lot of their ideas and he always talked about them and all that but he never got baptized in their church. So that was a little difficult....but we explained the doctrine of Christ many times and with a lot of patience. 

The one principle that was really hard for him to grasp was the doctrine of prayer. I have no idea why it was so hard for him but it was. He could not say his personal prayers. He wouldn´t pray to know if what we were teaching him was true or not. He wouldn´t pray. He only would either say the opening or closing prayer in the lessons and the thing that I didn´t get was that he said it perfectly! It was perfect! I didn´t understand what was so hard about saying the prayer by himself to ask if this was the truth. Anyway so long story short, we taught him about prayer like three times...and I was getting a little bit frustrated with him because he didn´t seem to get it and he wasn´t progressing like we knew he could. So I wrote on a sticky note that if he didn´t complete his commitment to pray and listen for an answer for the next visit, that we would have to let him go for a bit because he wasn´t progressing. 

Well, for the next appointment, guess what happened? He told us that he prayed and that he had a dream that was his answer that this was the truth because a man in white gestured to a door and beckoned him to enter and walk up the stairs and he took that as his answer that this angel was telling him that he needed to take this step up the stairs that lead to progression (baptism). So yeah, it was pretty crazy. So we put a baptismal date with him and we were all happy and all that good stuff. But, later that night, when we got to the house, we started feeling bad about his date and we started feeling guilty because we kind of felt empty, like, we weren´t excited for the baptism like missionaries normally are. We both felt that Max wasn´t quite ready and we felt guilty because we didn´t want him to just get baptized and then become inactive for lack of testimony....so yeah, it was a bad feeling.... 

We went with him to the church for our next appointment and we felt impressed to ask him about how he was doing with the word of wisdom and he told us that everything was all good! We then asked him specifically about coffee because that is his weakness, and he told us that he had only dranken (drunk? haha I don´t know what it is anymore) like "20%" coffee with milk haha. Well, as you know, that does not count as living the word of wisdom so....we had to tell him that he could not get baptized that weekend because he needs to live the word of wisdom for at least one week before being baptized so that he can be spiritually clean and prepared. He felt sad and stuff for a little bit but then we explained what he needed to do to complete with this goal and to be baptized and he started getting hopeful again. 

The point of this part of the story is that this was a miracle for my comp and I because we put a different date with him that we felt so much better about and we lost the feeling of guilt and uneasiness. and yeah well sorry but I am out of time but that is basically the story and i will finish it next week haha. (lucky you, you get two parts) ;) I love you all! Have a great week!

Love,
Hermana Walker

Here´s a pic of the baptism and also another pic of my companion and I...finally...haha at the end of the transfer...how nice ;)

Hermana Lopez (My 5th Companion)!:)

Me and Hermana Lopez at Max's Baptism













No comments:

Post a Comment