Monday, October 6, 2014

October 6, 2014 Gratitude and Conference

Hello everyone!

I hope that you are all doing well and that you are happy and loving life! Because life is amazing and it is a great gift from our Father in Heaven that I think we all take for granted. Even something small, like knees for instance, are beautiful beautiful things! Well, physically? No, they are actually kind of fea... but they are really beautiful because they allow us to do so much! I really took mine for granted before I hit the asphalt really really hard...I walked around like an old lady, limping and all that and I couldn`t really do anything for exercise because all I could do was barely stand somewhat straight and yeah...I couldn`t sit on the ground or do push ups or planks or anything...so that was rough too. And, I couldn`t sit down and cross my legs! That killed me! It was so hard...it`s like a habit for me to just cross my legs while sitting in lessons or in church or where ever, but I couldn´t do that either. I on`t really know why I told you all that but basically, I really appreciate my knees so much more and I am going to be so much more careful while walking and stuff cuz I don`t really want to repeat this week again, as far as the condition of my knees are concerned. They are actually healing really fast and feeling a lot better! They still look really ugly but I am so so grateful that they are healing! Anyway, enough of that. Let`s talk about the General Conference because it was so so amazing!! I loved it so much!!

It was a tender mercy from the Lord for me because we were able to watch the Saturday sessions in English! It was amazing! I learned so much and got planched pretty hard a few times and there were talks that answered questions I wasnt even aware I had until after the words came out of the mouths of these prophets, seers, an revelators. The whole thing was just so awesome! How blessed are we that every six months the Lord grants us an opportunity to listen to talks given by His holy prophets who are called of Him to guide us and teach us His will? General Conference is such an inspired blessing and I can`t believe how I took it for granted when I was a kid! I always used to think it was so long and so boring because I never really understood what they were teaching us but I am so grateful for the opportunity that we have to learn and grow spiritually on our path to true discipleship.

I want to know what your favorite talks were from the Saturday sessions! And dad, Cod and Prest, tell me what you learned from Priesthood! :) 

The Sunday morning session was really rough because we had to watch it in Spanish (since the chapel was really full of people and they were like all using the internet on their phones and tablets and stuff so we couldn`t watch it in English since it would slow the internet down )and I recognized words and phrases and stuff but it was stuff that I already knew and so I wasn`t able to understand the entire talk or anything like that and in my notes it was kind of sad because I only have two sentances written down...

I still felt the Spirit though for sure and I loved listening to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and enjoying the Spirit that comes with their angelic voices. Luckily, we were able to watch the second half of the sunday session in English and I understood it all so much better and learned a lot of things. I just love conference so much!

One thing that I loved from the Sunday conference (in the afternoon when I actually understood what was going on) was when one of the speakers, I can`t remember who said it, said that it is so much easier to make little changes everyday than to do a complete 360 degree turn around; it hurts less. I loved that because it applies to all people! It applies to members of the church striving to become better disciples of Christ, it applies to our investigators who are making changes in their lives right now to live the gospel the way that we teach them and the way that they read about in the scriptures-the way the Lord wants them to live it, and also, it applies to us missionaries out here in the field. A lot of the time, we beat ourselves up over the mistakes that we make or because we didn`t keep a rule exactly like we should have or we didnt have as much success during the week as we wanted, but, it is so important to remember that we just need to make small changes everyday and focus on one thing at a time instead of trying to fix all the problems all at once right then and there. It hurts less when we do things little by little rather than trying to eat an entire elephant in one bite or something ridiculous like that. ¨By small and simple things are great things brought to pass¨. The Lord will help us make the small changes daily that are neccesary for our profit and learning. He will help us bring about great changes and miracles by taking small steps, by doing small things. We must learn things continually in the manner that God intended: line upon line, precept upon precept. 

This talk helped me a lot because there are so many things that I want to change about myself and so many things that I want as characteristics in my life, but I know, and understand better now, that it is ok to only focus on one thing at a time; to not get caught in riptides that make us feel hopelessly lost in rough waters. In fact, it is better, easier, and hurts less when we make the small changes daily. The yoke of the Savior is light and easy and with His help I can accomplish all things. With His help, it will hurt less.

I also liked the talk (I think it was on Satuday but I don`t have my notes with me so correct me if I get it wrong) that talked about the emergency masks on the airplanes and how he related it to our lives and the gospel. It is so important, in fact, it is vital to first adjust our straps before we can adjust those of another. We need to be firmly planted in the faith and in the rich souls of the gospel truths before we can help other people adjust their straps. Obvioulsy right now, this is a really important principle for me because I am called as a missionary of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to preach the gospel of Christ and to bring others unto Him. This is my calling right now and there is special and specific power associated with it. It is more obvious as a missionary that I need to have my mask adjusted before I can go out and teach and help others adjust theirs. I need to have a testimony of this gospel that is so strong and deep that nothing can shake it, nothing can up-root it. Not even crash-landing in a plane from the sky. 

This talk holds specific significance for all members of the church-not just full-time serving missionaries. As members of the church, you all still have the same responsibilites that I do right now-you all still need to share your testimonies with others and share this glorious gospel with all those around you. But, you also need to make sure that your mask is securely fastened so that nothing can shake it. It is your responsibility alone to make sure that you can withstand all the turbulence of life and that your faith and testimony is firm before you reach out to help others because you don`t want to risk the chance of having your mask surprisingly fall from your face when the turbulance hits hardest. If your mask isn`t secure, you aren`t going to be much help to those around you. 

Also, I loved the talk by President Uchtdorf when he talked about the constellations and instruments that can now gather celestial light so that we now have a greater knowledge of other constellations and galaxies among us. God has always been there. His truths have always been there. We just haven`t always used the proper tools to gather the celestial light that Heavenly Father and the Savior Jesus Christ offer. When we seek out these tools and use them daily and correctly, celestial light gathers in our hearts and in our minds, enlightening our understanding and building us brighter and brighter from within. When we seek celestial light, we will find it and we can gather it and add to our inner light until it is shining through our very beings! 

It`s never too late to open the scriptures. It`s never too late to pour your heart out in prayer. It is never to late to utilize the celestial tools that God has given us to gather His celestial light. Search the word of God with dilligence, ponder them in your hearts and your minds and pray to the Lord in the name of our mediator, Jesus Christ, and give thanks for the light that you do have and for the opportunity daily to gather more. Don`t get caught in the riptides of the adversary who laughs at us when we feel down. Blind him and burn him out with the light of Christ that you can find and gather and use as your everlasting sheild all the days of your mortal and eternal lives. 

I hope that you all learned something amazing in the conference talks this year and that you can apply them to your lives with sincere intention to become better disciples of Christ. I know that the prophet Thomas S. Monson is a true and living prophet and that he has been called of God to lead us in the paths of righteousness in these days and in these times. I know that his counselors and the Quorem of the Twelve and the other auxillirary leaders of the church have also been called of God and that they recieve revelation for the saints today. I know that the Lord Jesus Christ lives, with every fiber of my being. He lived and died for us. He suffered greater pains than any man has ever known because He suffered all of our pains collectively. He lives again for us because He loves us and He loves the Father and He wants for us to be eternally happy. I know that Jesus Christ is the Savior and Redeemer of the world and that He truly is our Mediator with the Father because without Hm, we literally would have nothing. 

I am so grateful for this gospel in my life and for the truths that the Holy Ghost has testified to my heart because they make me who I am. I am so thankful that i have this opportunity to be a missionary right now serving in Mexico and that I have the opportunity to change lives just as mine has been changed because I have this knowledge. I hope that none of us take any of this for granted and that we live each day as the Savior would have us live. We are His representatives right now on the earth and it is our responsibility to build the Kingdom of God here on the earth with all the strength that we can muster. I know that I am not even close to perfect and that I make mistakes and fall short of the glory of God daily, but I also know that hope is not lost because we have a Savior who makes up the difference. All we have to do, is ask. I know these things to be true and I share them in the name of Jesus Christ, my Savior, Redeemer, and perfect example of obedience, Amen.

I apologize because this is so long this week but my heart is just really full of gratitude for all the beautiful blessings that I have in my life. I hope that you all have an amazing week and that you strive to apply something from Conference into your daily lives. I love you all so much! Thank you for your love and support :)

Love always,
Hermana Walker :)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment